"Seegrid will be due for a migration to confluence on the 1st of August. Any update on or after the 1st of August will NOT be migrated"

Minutes Wellington NZ IWG Face to Face meeting.

Also see MeetingMinutesDiscussion

Monday August 13, 2012

CGI Council report

New officers

Kristine Asch is secretary general; writes letters
Francois Robida is chair.
Robert Tomas is treasurer; he will set up a CGI bank account. Current balance is about US$19000, currently uncommitted.
Council is happy to receive applications for activities. Cookbooks, vocabulary translation are possible topics. Travel support is difficult.
OGC
finalize relationship between CGI and OGC. Draft MOU was distributed to GeoSciML mailing list. Drafted by Peter Bauman based on OGC template. MOU is between IUGS and OGC. Needs to be reviewed for discussion on Thursday. Request is for IUGS to give CGI authority to negotiate with OGC. On Thursday will discuss what implications of MOU will be for standards activities.

CGI web site:

Concern expressed by all incoming members--content is out of date. Ollie Raymond named CGI web site content manager. Concern-BGS needs to clarify if can continue hosting and provide distributed editing capabilities. If not then need to consider moving CGI web site to CSIRO. Bruce brought up suggestion that web site should be cloud hosted.


Tim—questions on hosting of GeoSciML resource web sites. What might be available from OGC. GeoSciML.org CSIRO is happy to continue hosting, with caveat that CGI Council provides some payment as contribution. Currently $500 per year. BGS employs someone to handle updated content when it is provided. Issues of multiple editor access to maintain web sites is big issue. Terry at CSIRO can set up multiple accounts to edit web sites. He pointed out that if we're going to start editing from multiple points, will need a versioning system to avoid edit collisions. BGS cannot give access to multiple parties. BGS does host 25 sites for organizations around world.


CSIRO hosting is on a project server that is easier to add users on. Resource.geosciml.org is a complex site that provides vocabulary services.
Bruce S. need to clearly distinguish steward ship of various CGI and GeoSciML web sites. If move to OGC have access to OGC collaboration tools.
Transferring Wiki from CSIRO to OGC would be very tricky.
Terry Paid $50 to renew domain names for GeoSciML.

Vocabularies

Multilingual thesaurus group provided a report to council, it was not circulated. Ian Jackson took on task of finalizing discontinuation of MLT WG.
Geoscience Terminology Working Group; S. Richard circulated action items for new group, including defining membership, no subsequent action. Need more formal announcement to CGI members soliciting members. Need some definition of new members. CGI website still lists MLT as working group, BGS hosts collab site for MLT. If anyone wants report on Multilingual Thesaurus activities, contact Joachim.
Need revision process and steward ship process in place. Need process to report issues. CGI council is governing body for EarthResourceML. EarthResourceML task group is Bruce S.
Need to update GeoSciML TWIKI to reflect current workgroup and activities.

Report on GeoSciML Test database

Alistair Ritchie reporting
PostGIS, and Oracle
• Example service deployments
o Geosserver app scheme
• In subversion repsoirtory
o Data—data basin instance
o Services—geoserver configuration
o Docs-documenation including EA model
• Example of deployment database maps directly to GeoSciML3.0
o Allows roundtrip of data
• Derived from Victoria Geodata.vic database
• Demonstrates key patterns: inline/byReference; vocabulary references, etc.
• Naming convention match GeoSciML: namespaces, type names, property names
o Can match tables to GeoSciML elements
• Documentation also on TWIKI see GeoSciMLReferenceDataset
• Issues:
o Earth material namespace wrong
o Content:
- Faults, contacts, earth material have content
- There is more information in GSV data that could be added to database
- Of 13 packages have populated 4-6 of them?
- No borehole/specimen/observation data… discussion: sampling features typically through SamplingFeature, observation through SOS. Can’t really experiment with technology until have content in Db.
o How to populate database? WFS-T, SQL inserts, Db UI??? Get community input to improve the database?
o Geoserver config
- Mapping to certain types (swe:Quantity) (see later Geoserver Discussion)
- Xlink:href on repeated types,
- gml:ids on nested types
• Deegree 3 has trouble mapping to basic GML types, (identifier, name, description), couldn’t get to work

Discussion:

Is there any good use case for creating a db that has all possible GeoSciML content. Short answer: probably not.
No one is likely to use this database precisely as delivered for their own deata. Tweaks for performance, difference in multiplicities etc. are inevitable.
Also need good XML instance documents to guide implementation.
Maintaining an example service is hard to justify with resources available. Could provide source of exemplar documents.
Tim—OneGeology needs to deploy exemplar services. Likely will use GeoSciML test data instead of BGS data. Marcus tried Geoserver 2.2 for exemplar services.
Where do we go from here with test dataset Alistair has prepared. What needs to be done with the db. Set up exemplar services. Bruce—need to identify action items and formulate into requests to CGI for funding. Db is not fully populated—do we need more information to use for testing.
Alistair—Example data is good 2D db now, but need some structure data, boreholes for 3D work. Some GSV data is available that could be used to populate boreholes. (Note GSV no longer has GeoSciML capability due to staff reductions). DPI is satisfied with licensing using CC by on the data with acknowledgements.
Tim: Is complexity of dataset sufficient to test any GeoSciML deployment
review of purposes of sample data
• Refer to in OGC docs; possible use in conformance tests for OGC GeoSciML spec.
• Testing service deployment
• Exemplar services
• Use as example data in cookbooks
Evaluate value of example database; is it useful enough to allocate IWG resources to maintain.

GeoSciML V3 implemenations

OneGeology

Tim Duffy reporting.

Need the OneGeology Fennoscandian Precambrian era vocabulary accessible through resource.geosciml.org vocabulary services.

Russia raster geology service with 2.5 million scale data

Tim Duffy met with techs from China Geological Survey, China geology service will be deployed

Working with Tech in Kenya to deploy cloud services for Southeast Africa Mining consortium, 8 countries

Accreditation scheme, 5 stars max. (see http://onegeology.org/technical_progress/accreditationForm.cfm)

For three star PLUS, want to get use of GeoSciML portrayal with standard lithology and age vocabularies so can use standard SLDs for harmonized portrayal.

GeoSciML 3 implies WFS 2.0 for 5 star services (but can implement on WFS 1.1.1, but technically then should offer a GML3.1.1 GeoSciML as well, which can’t do version 3). Default for WFS 2.0 is GML 3.2—must offer. GeoServer 2.2 (vaporware due September, rc2 is current). AusSoil ML uses GML 3.2 patterns like GeoSciML to serve from 2012-06-26 GeoServer build.

Snowflake (latest production) version with Oracle can do WFS 2.0 GeoSciML v3 that validates. PostGIS support is due.

GeoServer has problems with SWE 2.0 encoding. Need someone to volunteer that they are happy that GeoServer2.2 rc2 can handle SWE 2.0 encoding for GeoSciML. When INSPIRE got serious about supporting complex feature schemas (1.5 year ago +/-); EC agents resource GeoServer development; still have parts that need to be implemented.

CSIRO has project to get Geoserver to deliver WFS to meet Meteorological service requirements, requires GML3.2.1

Nils Charlier (sp?) from CSIRO now working on Geoserver, has complex feature experience.

New OneGeology client. http://onegeology.brgm.fr/v3/. Feedback to Francois Robida by Sept 30, 2012

Many of the OneGeology WFS services are OneGeology -Europe GeoSciML v2.1 services.

By Christmas should have cookbooks for GeoSciML v3 on WFS 2.0, GML3.2 using Snowflake, Geoserver, possibly ArcGIS? New Portal will be online, and allow use of query interface to filter age and lithology.

Schematron validation. Link on Wiki https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/CGIModel/GeoSciML3SchematronRules. Need community review and testing. CSIRO schematron validation at http://xmldev.arrc.csiro.au/Schematron/ also for testing. Paval Goludnic continues to work on this in spare time.

OGC OWS-9 includes setting up service to do schematron validation for WFS. OGC Cite Team engine (http://cite.opengeospatial.org/teamengine/) is currently being used to test WMS services. OWS-9 should enable CITE team to validate WFS as well.

Action Items

Steve Richard: Draft solicitation for members of Geoscience Terminology Working Group (GTWG)

Steve Richard: Draft letter for Stan Finney to formalize relationship between CGI and ICS. Linking of ontology and ICS resources, and provide access to older strat charts. Outline process for introducing new GSSP into ontology. Letter to be sent from CGI chair to ICS.

Steve Richard—European Fennoscandian Precambrian time eras.

Steve Richard—correlation table for mapping URN to URI

New GTWG: Apply to funding from CGI to support vocabulary development.

Bruce Simmons- test GeoServer 2.2 rc2 to encode SWE elements in GML 3.2.1.

IWG—review new OneGeology portal at http://onegeology.brgm.fr/v3/ and send comments to Francois Robida by 2012-09-30

For Example database:

  • Alistair Ritchie: add twiki page to collect input for what is needed in the example database.
  • IWG Members: add requirements for additional data for example database; geomorphology (if is still in GeoSciML at end of week), boreholes (with observations, mapped intervals), structure observation data for orientation. Spec to meet INSPIRE requirements. What are the things we need to test. Need enough data to show examples of mappings (db to GeoSciML) that are deemed high priority; when add requirement, indicate why its important. Provide 2 week window for input.
  • Alistair Ritchie: to prepare proposal to add in sample database according to specification in number 1.

GeoSciML -Portrayal

  • Steve Richard
  • USGIN ESRI Geosciml Portrayal WMS Services
  • not yet in OneGeology, but are will be
  • Support GetFeatureInfo, in
  • ArcGIS server object ID issue -> registered FeatureClass needs to have object ID, which then is mapped into XML response, but aliases would work alternatively
  • Changes with some tags, e.g. age lower to age older/younger
  • Tim: GeoSciML 3.0 portrayal 2.0 with GML 3.2.1, not GML 3.2 anymore
  • Ollie: Reflect that on website
  • Discussion about Observation portrayal here
  • Steve: simple portrayal scheme, flat structure observations/measurements bedding, strikes and dips, where to put in the whole picture? Is an easy and simple way
  • Soeren: E.g. symbology, SLD from database, single point location
  • Bruce/Alistair: Neither GeoSciML nor OM declared properties not directly mapped here, suggesting focus on SLD and URI elements
  • Discussion about ObservedProperty – Result, SampledFeatureSamplingFeatureFeatureOfInterest in terms of “Orientation, Foliation, Outcrop”
  • Bruce: Propose a GeoSciML portrayal namespace
  • Steve: Lack of clients in general, therefore flat file output easier to start with, still usable to create stereo nets
  • Tim: Instead put more efforts in documentation for community
  • Ollie: first figure out, later if more generic -> escalate OM portrayal
  • Call for Sub group Abstract Observation View
    • Alistair, Ollie, Steve, Eric
  • Tim: Please include in Geosciml cookbook examples for SLD portrayal sub queries, SLD dictionaries
  • Steve: OneGeology Europe colour codes, in geosciml portrayal trunk
  • Eric: have Water well portrayal

Anyone with presentations or posters at IGC? Please upload to GeoSciML or ERML presentation Twiki pages

INSPIRE Core Model (John Laxton)

  • Data Specification on Geology – draft guidelines (not a legal document, encoding/technical is not described in legal) – distinction between the law/directive and the guidelines
  • Model for legislation, rather for interoperability as in terms of geosciml
    • Geology
    • Hydrogeology (to meet the water framework directive)
    • Geophysics
    • Only limited number of types and properties
    • Theme -> freely definable, no constrained vocabulary
    • Some confusion about modelling “themes” and “simplicity” -> Tim for the rescue: INSPIRE models are limited by purpose because they are to be filled by all EU members to fulfil the law
    • And INSPIRE is not for exhaustive scientific data capture, but support legal management
    • Eric: GWIE 2.0 between North America and EU INSPIRE, to come up with new model, hope to match INSPIRE hydrogeology model with GWML successor
    • Core part is in implementing rules, mostly metadata, additional extension profiles
    • Geomorphology can’t be expressed with Geosciml 3.0, Hydrogeology to align with upcoming GWML successor, Geophysics -> OM encoding
    • Tim: add this one property to Geosciml 3.1 / 4?
    • Bruce: cardinality / classifier for geographical/geological features instead?
    • John: INSPIRE model rather legally modelled, but encoding could use Geosciml classifier.
    • Tim: Need to adapt GML nillable scheme for geosciml, to satisfy INSPIRE, best compromise so far

Report from ESRI meeting (Ollie, Steve, John)

  • In May ESRI and Jean Jacques, Ollie, Steve, John and Eric
  • Jeff Wade, ESRI, geodatabase template to be easily mapped to geosciml and portrayal for INSPIRE
  • Shape classes (point, line, polygon) and then derived GeologicalUnit, Event and Material
  • Same for structures, borehole, geomorphological, structural observations
  • “press button” and get onegeology and INSPIRE geosciml WFS (2.0)
  • ESRIGeology geodatabase template, apparently ESRI not much money for such an initiative
  • Tim: Background info Clemens Portele ShapeChange for INSPIRE Geosciml
  • ESRI three WFS services built by Roberto Lucci at ESRI - from BGS, USGIN, GA (Tasmania)
  • Geosciml working group feedback to ESRI
  • Assumed not to passed schematron rules
  • No URI for controlled vocabulary, vocabulary table exists, but no mapping
  • WFS 2.0 first OGC restful service, now ESRI pushing arcgis Geosciml restful
  • Formal feedback should go to Roberto with CC rest of group
  • Politics ESRI – Geosciml – WFS 2.0 developments
  • Minerals Industry focussed
  • Tim: We must schematron it and feedback formal to Roberto with CC rest of group, TODO: add 3 URLs
  • Tim question: Take out URIs but use URNs?
  • Ollie: John and Steve take label/code_ and then go to vocabulary table, John used URI (as now it would fail schematron apparently)
  • No changes Geosciml to fit ESRI software
  • It is suggested/required that for validation of Geosciml output, source database should be populated with sample data
  • Borehole example feedback, what about multiple well bores from one collar, inclinations, how and where link to further information/data, meaning of single lengths/depths attribute
  • Tim: describing the two posters, WMS 1.3, and WFS 2.0, especially reflecting Clemens Portele’s views (slide of a conference presentation)

Proposal by Simon Cox to formalise marking of "nillable" elements

  • Alistair: from Simon Cox nillable (UML voidable) defaults for your application and overwrite based on imported more strict packages, a convention to be applied to application schemas
  • Bruce: effectively changes default to nillable = true
  • Are schema validators aware of appinfo? How to import your app-schema and change nillable settings recursively?
  • Eric: some doubt that it can work, to overwrite nillable settings of imported packages, e.g. in gco
  • Alistair: community can decide on expected behaviour, but “delegate” nillable settings, xlink (?) to be lax again (xlink approach?)
  • That’s not really backward compatible, and no possibility to put that into a schema but only to apply through schematron
  • Ollie: Full moon convention to implement UML voidable as GML nillable
  • Steve: As long as it is explicit (nillable true/false) there is no need to change anything
  • Interim solution: Deliver OGC:unknown and put an xlink to a nil reason for a borehole without a shape, document would still validate
  • Guillaume: document says you can put a nilReason, but not nil it
  • Still some disagreements how explicit GeoSciML 3.0 is about nil true/false, and when xlink:href to nil reasons and if changes to geosciml 3.1 would be necessary to add a header info

Tuesday 14 August

EarthResourceML

EarthResourceML IWG status report by J Vuollo ERML_2011_2012_J_Vuollo_STATUS.pptx: WellingtonF2F2012 - based on comment received, changes are not expected to the INSPIRE draft of ERML v2
  • John has prepared a release candidate UML for ERML v2
  • ERML model will not include specific "INSPIRE ID" attribute. This is an special INSPRIE requirement that should be covered by gml:id
  • Suggestion that special INSPIRE metadata attributes (eg, start date, end date) should be included under gml:metadata, as a special INSPRIE extension schema, so that INSPIRE doesn't have to change the ERML or GeoSciML models. This could be used as a generic INSPIRE model.
  • ACTION: INSPIRE members to suggest the use of gml:metadata to implement attributes like 'start date', and 'end date' as a special INSPIRE schema which is imported. Suggest that this is a generic model for all INSPIRE domains.
  • DECISION: ERML v2 model accepted by the meeting
  • ACTION: John to work with Clemens Portele to generate ERML v2 schemas. By 1 Jan 2013.
  • ACTION: Instance documents from GTK, BRGM, GA, GNS NZ,
  • ACTION: Jouni to follow up with Andrew Moore/Lesley Chorlton at GSC for instance doc
  • Services for ERML v2 - GTK, BRGM, GA (no promises), USGS? (person to be identified by Bruce)

New 2012-3 task group membership

  • Jouni Vuollo (GTK) - elected as chair
  • Bruce Simons standing down as chair, can stay on a consultant
  • Daniel Cassard (BRGM)
  • Mike Sexton (GA)
  • add John Laxton (BGS)
  • change Swedish representative to Anders Hallberg (SGU)
  • NZ representative Soren Haubrock - remove Tony Christie
  • remove Adele Simon
  • add GSC representative (Andrew Moore?) - ACTION: Jouni to approach GSC
  • add USGS representative (?) - ACTION: Bruce to approach USGS

ERML Vocabularies

  • see Jouni's ppt
  • need to get vocabulary (code list) domain managers for vocab management to increase the speed of publication and update of vocabs
  • ACTION: INSPIRE codelists need to be published to CGI subversion repository with a separate spreadsheet for each vocabulary. Spreadsheets need to be formatted in standard way to be able to run XLS -> RDF script - Jouni and Steve to collaborate to do that.
  • Simon has prepared Australian (AuScope) commodity vocabulary in xmml/ontologies/trunk. Need to compare it to the INSPIRE vocabulary to check that everything is covered. Also need to add HTTP-URI identifiers.
  • ACTION: Jouni to identify a handful of "shepherds" to manage a small number of vocabs each, to bring the spreadsheets to a point where all comments are incorporated and spreadsheet is formatted properly so they can be converted to SKOS.
  • ACTION: Ollie to make sure that CGI Council elects a champion (suggest Robert Tomas) to ensure that the ERML vocanularies are progressed in an appropriate timeframe
  • Series of future plan on ppt
  • Get documentation for v2.0 on ERML site. ACTION for GuillaumeDuclaux .
  • ERML Subversion for documentation's last commit in GGIC svn by JohnLaxton. Some confusion about version (comment about v2 in 1.1 branch). ACTION :Main.JohnLaxton / MarcusSen to clarify/clean svn organisation.
    • GeoSciML moved to a different svn, Do we want to keep ERML under GGIC ?. Best practice a distinct repo. ACTION: GuillaumeDuclaux will create new repo and move content of GGIC (including transaction)
  • EarthResourceml needs a new tag on the web page (place holder) ACTION: GuillaumeDuclaux DONE
  • ACTION: GuillaumeDuclaux Must get documentation to get in new tag
  • ERML Domain name june 2013 licensed to BruceSimons , needs to be changes . Terry Rankin shoult take over (they are actually hosted by csiro anyway) ACTION: BruceSimon s to talk to Terry Rankin to have domain name ownership transfered to CISRO.

Vocabulary Service

  • GuillaumeDuclaux giving SISSVoc 3 demonstration (https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/Siss/SISSVoc)
    • Used to deploy CGI vocabulary (Landcare also deployed as proof of concept)
    • Also used for TimeScale
    • Documentation on the Seegrid wiki
    • Clear roles must be attributed to effectively manage vocabularies (decribed in documentation)
    • Well documented, takes about 2hr to deploy
    • requires Sesame and OpenRDF tools
    • HTTP URI when defered is redirected (303 redirect, through apache rewrite) to SISSVoc as a SISSVoc query
    • USGIN use Django to manage the redirection (no need for root access)
    • SSISVoc does content negociation. 3 supported, HTML(default), RDF/XML, Turtle. Also manage language negociation (HTTP header)
    • suggestion that it might be a model for other INSPIRE vocabularies
    • HTML representation configurable through CSS
    • Change to timescale = different ontology using the same Non information URI.
    • def.seegrid landing page designed to explore and expose Sparql endpoints (http://def.seegrid.csiro.au/)
      • to be reused by CGI. ACTION GuillaumeDuclaux: to deploy new resource.geosciml.org using def.seegrid design
    • Discussion on Turtle/RDFXML. RDF/XML is the only one that must be supported by tools
    • things that must get on resource.geosciml.org must go through GuillaumeDuclaux because of knowledge required to manage services hosted on this server.
    • resource page only mentions GeoSciML, not ERML.
      • should be "higher" to cover both GeoSciML and ERML (including domain name)
      • ACTION: OliverRaymond to add to cgi-iugs.org links to resource.geosciml.org and resource.earthresourceml.org
      • ACTION: GuillaumeDuclaux to set up resource.earthresourceml.org using def.seegrid design

EarthResourceML portrayal

  • Need to be tested and schema be generated
  • Replace "SomethingPortrayal" to "SomethingView": ACTION: SteveRichard to rename yadaPortrayal to yadaView
  • Need a portrayal for MiningWastePortrayal
  • ACTION: Michael Sexton to look into deploying ERML Portrayal in GA
  • ACTION: SteveRichard change anyURI to URI
  • ACTION: SteveRichard Need to add shape:GM_Geometry
  • ACTION: SteveRichard Order the element to match pattern in gsml portrayal
  • ACTION: SteveRichard remove abstract parent classes and move properties down to concrete classes

GeoSciML Website

  • http://www.geosciml.org/
  • Note that all this should be duplicated for EarthResourceML
  • Reorganisation of the geosciml page (see attached) and other resources accessible from this page
    • current version
    • previous version
    • portrayal
  • needs to add links to schematron
  • instance documents
  • http://www.geosciml.org/schemas/ is same as http://schemas.geosciml.org/ the latter is not a physical location, but just mapped to the former
  • althought it's possible to have schematron inside xsd, better keep them separate because schematron is cgi profile, not "geosciml"
    • but kept in xsd directory (same name as xsd, but .sch)
  • landing page are essentially folder structure for each packages
    • use Fullmoon generated pages ?
  • folder structure discussion
  • CSIRO will be happy to keep hosting with small funding from CGI
  • CSIRO could provide distributed editing, but because of server structure, granting access to GeoSciML Webdav might grant access to other part.
  • Added link to OGC Earth Systems Science DWG
  • sample database and geoserver configuration is a zip file of the tag in a folder so it's easier to download

Schematron

  • MarcusSen requires comments on schematron rules created in EdinburghF2F2011 ( GeoSciML3SchematronRules)
  • schematron contains CGI,OneGeology, wfs 2 rules
  • are instantiation of what has been decided (verbal agreement) in EdinburghF2F2011
  • Benefit is that one can quickly state if the instance will succeed to fail in client application
  • ACTION to all. TimDuffy will send MarcusSen email with rules he attemted to implement in schematron to all and all to test schematron rule and comment about the rule it's suppose to enforce.
  • Pavel's web service might be used.
  • Tim will include snowflake service that validates with sch rules
  • EricBoisvert will test http://www.probatron.org/
  • Only when all instance documents validate with sch (in case some sch needs fixing) will they be moved from branch to tag and then tag to web.

OGC and GeoSciML

Review of OGC MOU text drafted by Peter Bauman

Comments and clarifications needed:

Section 4b joint work product “shall be jointly owned”. Does this conflict with any IUGS Intellectual property rights policy. Ask CGI council to get IUGS to clarify that their policies.

Does 4a limit access of non-ogc members to OGC-hosted web collaboration site. Any activities under Appendix A should be under the purview of 4b, jointly owned activities, irrespective of where the activity is hosted.

Exhibit A #2 change wording “facilitation of GeosciML as an…” to “facilitation of GeoSciML application schema as an…”

IUGS and OGC shall work jointly as mutually agreed to develop architect… Don’t want to be obligated to always work jointly, collaborate, investigate as in Exhibit A #4-6. Change ‘shall’ to ‘will’ (or should?)

Need statements on MOU to effect that non-OGC members can participate actively in SWG activities and can access SWG resources on OGC website. What is membership status of OGC in IUGS? Online OGC docs (http://www.opengeospatial.org/ogc/join/levels) says Associate membership provides members with:
  • voting access to domain and standards working groups of the OGC Technical Committee,
  • non-voting participation in OGC Technical Committee proceedings,
  • one free registration to each of the quarterly OGC Technical Committee meetings,
  • and access to the OGC Member Portal for all interested employees of the organization (BUT the MoU seems to limit this to just 2 people)

Need to sort out who gets the complementary OGC memberships (probably want to give it to someone in the IWG who does not already have one through their employer)

Need access to DWG and SWG activities, not necessarily voting in plenary.

Need statement that any jointly produced specification documents will carry logos of both IUGS and OGC organizations.

What is status of OGC membership in IUGS (not voting delegates on council).

OGC and GeoSciML continued

Dale Percival joined on Skype.

Reviewed IUGS-OGC MOU discussion of earlier in week. Ollie to write summary of questions to pass to FrancoisRobida to take to OGC. Dale and Ollie to meet with George Percivall, OGC chief architect, to discuss.

MOU to be signed off by September - normal process is to proceed to a Standards Working Group (SWG) under the Earth System Standards Domain Working Group (ESSDWG).

"Fast-track" mode a way to bypass to Revision Working Group (RWG). Very specific meaning of fast-track in OGC eyes and may not be appropriate for GeoSciML. Community requires formal application to fast-track. Otherwise need to request a SWG to form. Facilitated process (in OGC fast-track notes) requires "wide" application. There is a check list to measure against. Direct conflicts between check list and the OGC-IUGS MOU.

WaterML is a good example of what is required. Simon Cox is involved in approval process and has pre-empted some of what is required. Conformance must be to a package, not across several packages. Need to re-package GeoSciML into simpler packages. Clemens Portele suggest OGC applications schema standard not required - simpler packaging required. Steve has started re-packaging. Need to wait for v4 for OGC?

GeoSciML portrayal represents one implementation - a package ready to go. Organise packages according to use case and in a specific application. Based on common conceptual model. Do we have substantially redesign v4? Is v3 enough? Is there a requirement for intermediate packages between GeoSciML Portrayal, Basic and Full schemes?

Conformance classes must apply to whole package. Long discussion ensued around packages and splitting of the the UML. Steve referred to his working EAP version for simplified packages.

Decision: To help INSPIRE conform with cases and legislation we will adopt the proposed OGC nil conventions to declare that properties are nillable on the imported sampling spatial features in the borehole schema. Ollie to check whether there is any change required to the schema version number.

GeoSciML Model Implementation

Geological Feature remains the same and retains association with controlled concept Classifier. Classifier should have multiple cardinality (1..*)

Implementation patterns

Changes to GeologyBasic: GeologicFeature association to AbstractMappedFeature rather than MappedFeature?

Propose GeoSciML "Core" and GeoSciML "Extended": the latter has additional class(es) in different package. Propose GeoSciML "Basic" and GeoSciML "Extended": the latter has additional class(es) in different package. ---++++ Geomorphology Issues

1. Activity feature should be a property of GeomorphologicFeature e.g. volcano. Could be an INSPIRE extension? Add Activity on NaturalGeomorphologicFeature only (INSPIRE requirement), not AnthropogenicGeomorphologicFeature? Activity has been made an optional category (in NaturalGeomorphologicFeature) so OK for GeoSciML v3.1 (for INSPIRE conformance) short term. Adding mandatory DescriptionClass will force GeoSciML v.4 so leave until later. Example activity:Category terms are inactive, active, dormant, stabilized, reactivated.

2. Treatment of GeomorphicFeature (wrt GeomorphologicUnit in GeologicUnitType) landform unit and its constituent material e.g. moraine vs till, alluvial fan landform vs deposit. GeomorphologicUnit is to describe the landform, not the deposit. Added a description class GeomorphologicUnitAbstractDescription and GeomorphologicFeatureDescription.

Other Feature Changes

FoliationDescription moved out to new class.

CompositionPart context: RockMaterial and CompoundMaterial classes revisited and reorganised with respect to GeologicUnit. Added RockUnitDescription and CompoundMaterialDescription classes pointing to CompoundMaterial. Consolidated many terms into GeologyBasic. Considerable discussion and experimentation with EA and whiteboard. No clear solution, most options have shortcomings - maybe these are framing questions that need to be asked?

ACTION: EricBoisvert to weigh up options and frame questions for CompositionPart.

GeologicEventDescription class formed with representativeAgeTerm and eventProcess. Created GeologicEventExtended class with numericAgeRange, olderNamedAge, youngerNamedAge, eventEnvironment

ShearDisplacementStructureDescription class formed with planeOrientation, deformationStyle, and points to PhysicalDescription

MappedFeatureDescription class formed with resolutionRepresentativeFraction

MappedFeatureDescription class formed (no features) to link to SamplingFeature

Borehole simply can't be simplified, it is a discrete package with strong dependence on O&M

Exposure (an ESRI standard) property, Boolean (concealed or visible).

Meetings and Work Plan

Expect CGI Council to have arranged OGC-SWG, 14-18 January 2013 in ESRI HQ, Redlands, California. ACTION: OliverRaymond to confirm if SWG meeting needs to be signalled prior at the OGC meeting in Korea

v4 UML model sorted out by January 2013

Next CGI-IWG meeting in St Petersburg? with next OneGeology TWG mid 2013. ACTION: TimDuffy to respond to Russia about hosting next meeting in principle. Alternayively next GeoSciML meeting may be in Redlands in January.

Version 3.1 branch to be created by OliverRaymond

Version 4 new trunk to be created for OGC

Task for SteveRichard to get UML into Subversion

Meeting closed 4 pm
Topic attachments
I Attachment Action Size Date Who Comment
ERML_2011_2012_J_Vuollo_STATUS.pptxpptx ERML_2011_2012_J_Vuollo_STATUS.pptx manage 12144.5 K 20 Aug 2012 - 21:15 JouniVuollo WellingtonF2F2012 - ERML status report by J Vuollo
Topic revision: r23 - 28 Aug 2012, OliverRaymond
 

Current license: All material on this collaboration platform is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence (CC BY 3.0).